Kouluja on käyty eri muodoissa sivistyksen alusta alkaen. Koulunkäyntiin on aina liittynyt jonkinlainen koe, jolla mitataan opittuja asioita. Löysin netistä vanhan kokeen vuodelta 1895. Koe on yhdysvaltalaisen Kansasin osavaltion Salinan kunnan kahdeksannen luokan loppukoe. Koekysymykset olivat löytyneet Smoky Valleyn sukuhistoriallisen seuran kirjastosta ja julkaistiin Salina Journal -lehdessä. Lehden artikkelissa on myös mallivastaukset, joten vanhojen koekysymysten tenttaamisella voi arvioida, olisiko läpäissyt kokeen reilut sata vuotta sitten. Kokeeseen on varattu aikaa kaikkiaan vajaat kuusi tuntia. Kysymyksistä päätellen tentti muistuttaa laajuudessaan ylioppilaskirjoituksia.
Grammar (Time, one hour)
- Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
- Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
- Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
- What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
- Define Case. Illustrate each Case.
- What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
- Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time, 1 ¼ hours)
- Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
- A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
- If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu., deducting 1,050 lbs. for tare?
- District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
- Find cost of 6,720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
- Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 per cent.
- What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per in.?
- Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 per cent.
- What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per are, the distance around which is 640 rods?
- Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
- Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
- Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
- Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
- Show the territorial growth of the United States.
- Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
- Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
- Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
- Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849 and 1865.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
- What is meant by the following: Alphabet, Phonetic, Orthography, Etymology, Syllabication?
- What are elementary sounds? How classified?
- What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, Subvocals, Diphthong, Cognate, Linguals?
- Give four substitutes for caret "u".
- Give two rules for spelling words with final "e". Name two exceptions under each rule.
- Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
- Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, Dis, Mis, Pre, Semi, Post, Non, Inter, Mono, Super.
- Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
- Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
- Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
- What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
- How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
- Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
- Describe the mountains of North America.
- Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon: A territory in northwest Canada between Alaska and British Columbia, St. Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
- Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
- Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
- Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
- Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
- Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.
Physiology (Time, 45 minutes)
- Where are the saliva, gastric juice, and bile secreted? What is the use of each in digestion?
- How does nutrition reach the circulation?
- What is the function of the liver? Of the kidneys?
- How would you stop the flow of blood from an artery in case of laceration?
- Give some general directions that you think would be beneficial to preserve the human body in a state of health.